In Part 2, let us examine Gatherings and why these are important for the life of Veritas City Church. I want to answer these three questions:
- Why do we gather as Christians?
- How do we gather as Christians at Veritas City Church?
- What can you expect from our gatherings at Veritas City Church?
Why do we gather as Christians?
We gather as Christians at Veritas City Church because Christ commands it and the early church models it. Although we never see the word Sunday in the New Testament, we do see phrases such as the “the first day of the week” (Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:2, 9; Luke 24:1; John 20:1, 19; Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2) Furthermore, we see mentions of the early church gathering together often (Acts 2:42-47). And what is more, the commandment of a weekly Sabbath is a moral law given by God to Israel (Ex. 20), which still has moral implications for us today.
With that said, we gather at Veritas for these reasons:
ONE: To REHEARSE the Gospel
As Christians, we gather first and foremost to glorify God by rehearsing the gospel together and to one another. The gospel is a message about God, Man, Christ, and our Response to it. Therefore, every Sunday when we gather together at Veritas we are not only preaching the gospel for those who are not Christians, but we preach the gospel, sing the gospel, pray the gospel, and remind each other of the gospel so that we might be built up, edified, rebuked, encouraged, and sent out on mission to live out the gospel.
TWO: To REST in the Gospel
We live in a busy city and with exhausting schedules. However, that is no excuse for living on fumes, loving on empty, or serving with nothing to give. Because of this, it’s important for everyone to elevate the importance of our Sunday Gatherings as a place where rest happens. We think vacations and escaping from the city on the weekends are fun, too, but they don’t replace resting in the gospel when the church is gathered together.
THREE: To REFILL in the GOSPEL
As we gather to rehearse and rest, we also are gathering to refill in the gospel. As Christians on the fringes of culture (1 Peter 2:11-12), we must sprint towards this time to worship with the saints together. Every Sunday Gathering when we preach, sing, pray, fellowship, and administer the ordinances is a picture of and reminder toward where our ultimate citizenship lies and faith is pointing.
How do we gather as Christians at Veritas City Church?
At Veritas City Church, we gather this way:
Weekly / Sunday Gatherings
- See above
Monthly / Sunday Seminars
- Monthly gatherings for equipping and teaching on specific topics regarding spiritual growth, theology, apologetics, or cultural engagement.
Quarterly / Covenant Membership Celebrations
- We gather 3 times a year to celebrate all that God is doing in our church.
- We gather once for a EOY Christmas celebration.
Bi-Annually / Special Weekenders
- These serve twice a year as leadership weekenders, marriage weekenders, or parenting weekenders.
What can you expect from our gatherings at Veritas City Church?
- You can expect a 1-hour and 15-minute gathering.
- You can expect a high energy, welcoming, and very friendly relational environment.
- You can expect loud corporate singing. We place the emphasis in our worship on the voices of the congregation, and less on the instruments or performance of those leading.
- You can expect corporate prayer led by a pastor.
- You can expect a 45-minute sermon that is preached expositionally from the Scriptures.
- You can expect the ordinances to be administered and practiced (the Lord’s Supper and Baptism).
- You can expect an emphasis on church planting and global missions.
- You can expect a clear response concerning what to do next from the preaching of the Word.
- You can expect a clear call to scatter into City Groups throughout the week. We believe this is where the life of our church happens.
- You can expect to stick around after our gathering and fellowship together with other Christians.